Monday, June 27, 2011

A little adventure.

Two weeks ago we went on a little adventure (the 14th). Monday night we were trying to decide what we wanted to do Tuesday when David got home and Wednesday (his day off). Chris told us about this little desert oasis he found and we decided we wanted to check it out as well. So as soon as David got home we got everything packed up and headed out (thank you Grandpa for letting us take your truck and 4-wheeler!)
I don't know if Chris wants me to share his secret spot with the worldwide web, so just know that we basically drove to the middle of nowhere southern Nevada,
 drove south on a dirt road for a bit, then headed toward the mountains. At a certain point we unloaded the 4-wheeler, tied down all of our gear, and then rode in for about another 5 miles.
Funny story 1: When we parked the truck, David was scanning the area, and then says to me- "Do you see that jack rabbit?" I'm trying to find a hippity hoppity rabbit bouncing through the sagebrush. "Negative" I say not seeing anything move. David then proceeds to give me directions of where to zone in to find said rabbit. "You see that bigger bush on the left? And that other bigger bush to the right of that one?" "Mmmhm" I reply. "Well between those two you can see the tips of its ears." 
What the what what??? I was reminded again of why I called him eagle eye when we were dating. Seriously, only an inch or inch and a half of those ears were poking up. And even then, I would have passed them off as some sort of plant. iuhknow.
David then turned to me and asked with youthful pleading, "Can I shoot 'im? Please?" "Sure!" 
David then quickly proceeded to take out his rifle, load, aim, and shoot. And then he nailed the poor little bugger. 
As I was taking this photo, he was grossed out by how many tics were all over it and urged me to "Hurry up and take the picutre!"

Funny story 2: At one point we needed to stop to tie something down that was on the verge of being lost (it was David's sleeping bag, and he didn't want to take any chances). Not having anywhere else to strap his rifle on the 4-wheeler, David just had it slung across his back. As he was turning to climb off, the barrel of the rifle swung back and whacked me right on the bridge of my nose. Owww! The look on David's face was so sad and he felt so bad about it that all we could do was laugh about it..after some blank blank words may or may not have escaped from my mouth. It's a good thing my nose isn't one for bleeding, because a nose bleed most definitely would have been a set back as were already pushed for time trying to find a camp site before the sun got away from us. (when we got home the next day after I washed my face I noticed a good-sized patch of red on my schnozz. Interested, I leaned in closer thinking it was an odd sunburn or zit. After touching it I realized it was bruised from my meeting with the end of D's gun. hahahha)

Anyway, we found a place to pitch our tent and make camp for the night and eat our hobo dinners. Yum!
The next morning we went exploring. We went as far as we could with the 4-wheeler and then hiked up between some mountains in search of the water source Chris told us about. We're not sure if we found what he was referring to, but we did find a few spots with water coming out of the rock. It was pretty cool! You can tell that this area must have some sort of water source, because the mountain looked lush and green (for desert standards)
The mountains around this area were extremely sparse and brown in comparison. On our way we saw lots of cow pies and tracks, and to David's giddish delight, deer tracks and deer rubs.
Before we headed back down, David tested out his scope. It met his approval.  After seeing some buck tracks and lots of rubs, David was really intent on finding a shed or two. Sadly, we came across none. But I have a feeling that we'll back in the fall in search of some then. 
And then he showed me his saweet hat hair.
Hot stuff!
And then we headed back down to the four-wheeler where we saw several cows (it was really weird) and back to our camp, packed everything up and headed out. It was getting hot!
I had to take a photo to prove that I was in fact present on this little journey.
I love having David all to myself and I'm so glad we went and explored this area.
We're "Makin' Memories!" (as Mama Nessie would say)

No comments :