Monday, June 25, 2012

Summer Lovin'. First Date.

After driving lessons, basketball games, many rounds of aggravation, foursquare, rock climbing, and lots of texting later, David finally asked me out on a date. Like a real, official date. As in "I will pick you up at a specific time and we will go do something that I planned and then I will drop you off at the end of the night" kind of date.  We hadn't done one of those yet, so this was kind of a big deal. I think up until this point we were both still coming to terms with the fact that our own individual plans for the future, where both of us were not going to date or get serious with someone until we had x,y,and z finished, started going up in smoke as soon as I said "hellooo". So once we each got over that...David picked me up and we headed to the Drive-In.
On the way out there, I still remember exactly where we were- we just got off the highway at Rancho and waiting for the light, the song "Falling For You" came on the radio. It was Colbie Caillat's brand new single, and I had only heard it a time or two before. But I recognized the beginning of the song right away, and excitedly turned the volume up while saying, "I love this song!!! Have you heard it yet??" David smiled the whole time, and when the song was over, he said that he had heard it a few times and that he really, really liked it. 
The movie Up! had just come out, and having already seen it once and loving it soo so much, I got to see it again! along with another movie... it was double feature night. David borrowed Grandpa's truck and had it padded down with a mattress and blankets and pillows. I brought water and snacks. We got the radio dialed in to the station, rolled down the windows, turned up the volume, and got comfy in the bed of the truck. Note- even when the sun sets, the temperatures still linger around 95-100, so it's hard to snuggle down in a blanket and get comfy cozy. So when I say we got comfy, I mean that the cooler was very close, and personal space is not breached. If it is, it makes for a sweaty situation.
So the movie starts, and David begins to realize that I'm not crazy and that it really is a great movie! I can't remember how far into the movie it was when David leaned over to me, looked me in the eyes, looked down at my hand, looked back at me and asked if he could hold my hand. I'm not a very tactful person sometimes, and I laughed right in his face. That sounds awful, let me clarify: I sweetly giggled and told him that he didn't need to ask while surrendering my hand to his.
whabam! It finally happened! David finally made a move!
And we sat there and enjoyed the rest of the movie, content to just be with each other and holding hands. This is probably when I fell in love with David's hands! Seriously. I have a thing for his hands. They're a man's hands. Tanned, strong and calloused with years of hard work. But so gentle and full of love. To this day I love how my hands feel when they're nestled in his. 
We loaded up and headed home when the movies were over, and David laughed while I rocked out to every song that came on the radio. He thinks I got some sweet dance moves.
I made it home safe and sound and fell asleep while texting my sweet gentleman.

No comments :