Wednesday, October 5, 2011

{Tipful Tuesday} Hair in Real-Time

Time is a funny ol' thing. 
I often marvel at how one's appearance can seem to change drastically to a beholder, but seem monotonous and same-ol same-ol to the individual (did I get that put into words in a sensible manner?).
For example, I looked something like this when the Mr. and I first met:

To this day I am shocked that David thought I was decent looking when we first met what with my chubbiness (the dreaded freshman 15) and bobbed brunetteness (totally a word...maybe) going on. Don't get me wrong. I loved my short, brown hair. I'm just surprised David recognized me as his soul companion because I really didn't feel quite like myself [chubby. short. brown hair. on a girl that has been relatively fit with long blonde locks her whole life]. (I guess that just goes to show that my spirit, and not my physical body, was really shining that night. I'm getting distracted...)
My hair is now it's original color (with the ends showing the remnants of the last time I did a box-dye 7 months ago).
And now, over 2 years since that star-aligned first meeting, I don't feel like I've changed that much. But while looking back on old pictures I've realized that my whole look is quite different.
I love having my long hair back. It's officially hit my mermaid status marker (you'll have to ask me in person about what in the world that is supposed to mean).
Boy, oh boy, does my hair grow like a weed. I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm 'with child' (one day, many many many days from now). I think at that point we can just start referring to me as Rapunzel.
There's a point to this, I promise, just stick with me. 
The thing is, I feel like I look like this most of the time:
And this week I'm just itching to change something about this mop. 
But I have a dilemma. 
Several, infact.
Dilemma 1: I've mentioned before that I struggle with having just anyone cut my hair. Andrea (the super awesome talented cousin) can do anything she pleases with my hair and I would trust her 100%. But alas, we live several hundred miles apart. I've slowly gotten over this and have finally become semi-comfortable with the idea of having someone else play my with hair. whew. 
Dilemma 2: I for reals want some fringe. But as mentioned above, my hair grows somewhat frighteningly fast. So my fringe would need some major upkeep- a.k.a. frequent salon visits a.k.a. more money than my cheapwadness is willing to dish in order to maintain fabulous looking fringe.
Dilemma 3: color. done with the blondie blonde right now. Which brings us back to dilemmas 1 and 2. While I've talked myself into letting a stranger cut my hair, I'm not so sure about the whole color processing thing. Seriously, Ann is amazing. I've been completely spoiled by her talent and her family discount. I'm aware that getting color is mucho expensivo. Especially on longer locks. 
Dilemma 4: I have never dished out money at a hair salon before. EVER.
Dilemma 5: the hair stylist is going to ask when I last had my hair cut. And I'll say, "November 2009". And they'll die of shock and disgust.
With all that being said, I'm going to be setting up some appointments tomorrow to drop dough for some hair care time this week before hubby gets back.
Not sure he'll recognize me by week's end. 
i love surprises, don't you?
If it turns out terrible I can just hide under a hat all day, right?
k, good.
or...I could just drive the several hundred miles just to have Ann fix my hair.
humunuh, decisions. decisions.
...and oh, right...it's Tuesday. Care for a tip?
I guess there are several to take away from this hairy post.
1) Make friends/family with an awesome hair stylist that you trust completely.
2) Don't ever move away from them.
or
3) Don't be a cheapwad, like yours truly, and be willing to put out some moonies for your tresses.
mmmmmk!
lastly, Ann makes cute babies:

No comments :