Friday, July 22, 2011

Eyes too big for the stomach; a double whammy!

 I didn't take any pictures of our camping weekend for the 4th. Well, that was a semi-lie. I did take pictures, with Felicia's camera. So I should say that I don't have pictures from the 4th fun, until I steal some from Feesh. 
Good thing though that Zach was on top of things and made sure to document this:
We caught the same fish!
We both felt a tug on our lines one right after each other. We each hooked the fish and started reeling in, excited to see who had the bigger catch. Soon enough we realized we were reeling in the same thing! No, we didn't cross lines. The fish took both our baits and hooks. Poor guy, as if getting hooked in the mouth isn't bad enough, he got one right after the other. I'm telling you, those trout were going crazy for the Pink Lemonade PowerBait. 

Other fishy info from that trip worth documenting: shortly after catching the above pictured fish, Giulia finally gutted and cleaned her other catches from that day. She usually just makes David do it, but she "manned-up" this time 'round. If you didn't know this already, let it be a service announcement for you: fish have sharp teeth! My thumb is just now recovered from the multiple bite marks left from breaking the jaw and pulling the gutsies down and out (if you've never seen a fish get gutted before, you probably don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm too tired to explain any better. hmmph). After that first teeth encounter, David informed me that putting my thumb farther down the throat would help prevent my thumb from being stabbed. And it did. Thanks for the heads up lovie. But in retrospect, I'm sure he did mention that when he was showing me what to do, I was probably just still shocked about how I was holding a slimey fish in one hand and a knife in the other and thinking that slimey fish feel real gross.

1 comment :

Rachel said...

hahaha good to know tips like that! I love the picture! I can't wait to see more!