Saturday, September 14, 2013

Since last time

Wellllllp, since last time this was updated (up at Henry's Lake while at work) a few things have happened. 
This morning I picked up our first Bountiful Basket. Looks like there's a lot of good stuff, and I didn't have to fight with the crowds of BYU-I students (and this weekend, their parents) at the grocery store to get it. And on that parenthetical note, can I just say that it was making me giggle to see all the new freshman and their mommies and daddies at the grocery store, buying their baby groceries just one more time. Ah, too funny. Maybe I thought it kind of odd because I never had that experience. My parents didn't even drop me off. I hitched a ride from Henderson in order to get to Provo. And did my grocery shopping with my bike. hahha. goood, good times. 
Yesterday we finally got internet up and running at the house- goooo David! 
We had visitors! Jenny and Dessa Selch were here to get Dess set  up and settled in Rexburg to start school. Yay! I'm so excited for Dessa. 
Jake and Kate moved in the basement. They seem to really love and appreciate it. And it seems we're going to be best of friends. :) 
I started my new job on campus. In July, I interviewed for a closed captioning position, but didn't get it. But the guy that interviewed me was kind enough to send my resume to another guy in the A/V productions department who was looking to hire a teleprompter. So I didn't even have to research or apply or inquire about this job, it just came to me. What a blessing! The new guy contacted me and asked me to come in for an interview. I got the job! So, Mondays I meet with and work with the devotional speakers and get the teleprompter formatted and ready to go, and on Tuesday I (well not me by myself. There's a team.) run the teleprompter for the speaker during the devotional. The rest of the week I fill up my hours doing closed captioning (the original job I applied for). I haven't been trained on the teleprompting business yet, that will start Monday. But this last week I have been a closed captioning fool! As per federal law in accordance with the Disability Act, all videos used for learning at the university need to have closed captioning. You should come and take a tour of this place! The department I work for, Audio/Video Productions, is housed in the I-Center, where the huge conference center is. Sooo many computers and monitors and fancy gadgets and cables and cords. It's cray cray.
What else, what else......
Dad was here to finish the little things in the basement and around the house and yard. I didn't take pictures of the basement before Jake and Kate got here, woops! I wasn't feeling too great the last week or so and documentation of progress just didn't happen. But I did take a video! (after J&K's first round of bringing stuff in) See in previous post. But see, we're pretty much best buds already, so they don't mind. ..... ;)

The last time Dad was here (the last week of August), David left with him on Thursday night (the 29th). They didn't have time to stop and rest along the way because Dad had a whole butchered cow to get back to Vegas before it thawed. So, he needed another driver in order to accomplish that. David drove all the way from Rexburg to St. George, where he got out and met with Chelsie for breakfast, did some school clothes shopping (he was in desperate need of pants that weren't faded or torn or beat up) while Ch was at school, after Ch was done with school for the day he helped her pack and move some stuff from her place, and then they headed home to Panaca, even caught Preston's football game. Wow, longest sentence ever. 
David stayed in Panaca and had the best time with his brothers and family. Preston has a deer tag and Zachary had a bull elk archery tag. So, naturally, David was in heaven just being able to hang out with his brothers and hunt all the live long day. 
Zach filled his tag:
 photo PART_1378521590561_zps79a8c993.jpg
They think he scored around 350- a trophy sized bull, so they are stoked. Can you imagine packing that huge thing off the mountain, miles away from your vehicle? That's what they did. Crazy boys. The archery tags are early in the season, which means that the elk are higher up because it's still hot, which makes them even more difficult to find, let alone get a shot off. As if using a bow and arrow wasn't hard enough already.

Anyway, if you did the math, I was home alone for 10 nights. Luckily, Jenette came to visit and play for Labor Day weekend. We went to Bear World, dinner at Winger's, drove around town in her fancy new car (ahhhh I miss stick shift!), and spent lots of time in the kitchen. 
We made apple pies, scones, salsa, chili, crepes, corn bread....nom!
  photo IMAG1523_zps3cc38fbb.jpg  

We painted our toesies and watched Lord of the Rings

She went to Ikea for me on the way up and got spice racks, yay for more counter space! I still have never been to Ikea. This needs to change.

David asked her to take a picture of my Sunday outfit and send it his way
 photo IMAG1521_zpsf67c0494.jpg
One morning, in my all alone lonesomeness, I made an omelet. And it was delicious. And it looked like it came from IHOP.
I also made zucchini bread one day and it, too, was delicious- no sugar (subbed honey), no oil (applesauce sub), and fresh whole wheat flour instead of the nasty, processed, bleached, enriched white flour.  (I guess now you know where I stand on white flour)

One last story. While David was gone I took to going for a lot of runs/walks. Being outside, rain or shine, always lifts my spirits. On one such occasion I left the house and even had the thought to double-check the doors to make sure I didn't lock myself out. For once in my life I followed through with that and checked to see that the back door wasn't bolted. I've since learned to look more closely. :) I got back from my lovely jaunt and what do you know, I am locked out. While the dead bolt was not in place, the turning lock on the knob was. Even if in the locked position you're still able to turn the knob and get out. Getting back in is a different matter. My dad was gone and had all the ladders packed up, there was nothing laying around that was tall enough to help me get through the upstairs windows, and the key to the shop where there might be something useful/high enough was inside the house. Joyyy. Just the day before I went through the house and closed up the windows (and locked them, so I doubt I would have been able to use a higher, bigger window even if I could reach. . .) But that morning as I was sanding the kitchen cabinets downstairs I opened the east window of the basement to let some air in while I worked. I remembered seeing this window open as I got back to the house from my run and was worried that a certain squirrel that I always see running around found the opening for his next mansion. Don't worry, no creatures have been found inside....yet. Anyway, I ran to the other side of the house and determined that indeed my wide set hips, undoubtedly made for the sole purpose of child-bearing, would fit through the small window, if only I could get the rest of my body to follow. Now, envision this with me. I'm shoving myself through the BASEMENT window. The window sits level with the ground outside. When I'm inside, the window sits above my head and I have to stand on tip toes to see out of the very bottom of it. Meaning: a good drop. I should have gone in with my knees down. Instead, I went in with my cushy bootay down and knees to the ceiling. After getting my hips through and being precariously perched on the sill, half of my body dangling inside and the top half holding myself in place whilst outside, I realized that there was nothing within toe reaching distance for me to place my weight and thus be able to help break my downward fall. And so, not wanting to sit so very uncomfortably any longer and not wanting to try to wriggle myself back out, I gritted my teeth and just went for it. My back caught on the window casing and then slid down, down, down. That hurt. My eyes may have shed an involuntary tear or two due to sheer pain. Sometimes when I stub my toe or smash my finger, an obscenity or two might slip my tongue (Mother forgive me, you know, and I know, that you taught your children better. I mean, CRIMENATELY is a much better word choice). However, be proud! All I uttered was a pathetic, tearful "Owwwwwie."
Can't tell in the picture but the top is all bruised and scratched and slightly bloody. Fun! Excuse the nakeyness.
 photo IMAG1553_zpsb94ed7cd.jpg
And of course I was home alone and had to figure out some way to get to my back and treat the dang thing. Luckily that night I went to my auntie's house, where another one of my aunt's was staying that night, and had her help. :) Thank you Jenelle. I should note that this damage was incurred through a solid, cotton t-shirt and the orange sports container. Aycarumbah!

And I think that's all for now! I should go wake up David and make breakfast. Happy Saturday! Saturday is a special day!

1 comment :

Felicia said...

Loved a lot of things about this post, but my favorite had to be that David wanted a picture of your Sundee outfit. Seriously adorable. Good luck with school on Monday!